On January 23, 1725, Governor Jan de la Fontaine allowed Andries Gous to graze his cattle "aan de duyvenhoks rivier" under "de dorenboom" and farm was therefore called "Doornboom",the first loan farm assigned to the Duivenhoksrivier .
Only one farm was earlier issued in the region, namely the "onder dgrootvadersbosch" to Roelof Oelofse on August 26. A part of the farm has developed into the town of Heidelberg.
The name "Heidelberg" was used before the official founding of the community in the town was granted and possibly derived from the name of the German University City.
The inhabitants of the region lived under the churches of Swellendam and Riversdale until 14 September 1855 when a secession movement obtained the necessary approvals and a sum of five thousand British Pound was guaranteed to the owner of Doornboom, Louis J Fourie for the farm for the purpose of establishing a town church.
This transport was given on 7 April 1858 at the Church Council.
Soon afterwards the first erven were sold, and in 1862, under the chairmanship of Joseph Barry, founder of the Barry & Nephews commercial empire, the town achieved municipal status.
Heidelberg on 13 September 1901 became probably the farthest southern town where battles was fought during the Anglo-Boer War.
A Boer commando attacked Heidelberg and a firefight ensued at the "Boer-en-Brit" building after they had two days previously been involved in a skirmish at Soetmakersrivier south of Riversdale.
Proclamation 93 of 1930, later given authority to Heidelberg's own Divisional Councel which also obtained control over Witsand and Slangrivier.
On 19 December 1941, the village became an independent magisterial district.
The town has a number of historic buildings, its oldest by far being the Fourie House. This is the homestead of Doornboom and dates back to 1728, making it one of South Africas oldest surviving clay houses.
Once dilapidated and in danger of falling apart, the T-shaped building recently underwent extensive restoration, and was officially opened to the public on 24 September 2008.
Frikkie Muller - 028 713 2418
Dr Keyser - 028 722 2455
Dr Scholtz - 028 722 2034
028 722 1243
Riverdale - 028 722 8100
Hospital / Kliniek
028 722 1441
028 713 8019
J Hoogbaard - 074 887 1553
028 713 8040